Friday, September 2, 2011

Getting Old Gracefully - NOT

Not too long ago, my husband insulated the attic and the basement completely by himself.  He leveled the living room floor.  I painted the walls.  Now I actually WANT to buy our handyman lunch.  We buy him whatever he wants to eat so that he will come to us first every time we call.  Forget my job. Forget my husband.  Forget my family.  Forget my house. Forget my yard.  Forget my community.  First there is the regular doctor for when I get an upper respiratory infection.  Then there are the regular, maintenance appointments to the cardiologist.  Then, there is the podiatrist, the chiropractor, and physical therapy appointments.  There is the gynocologist, the radiologist.  There are mammograms, sonograms, and bone density scans.  There is the dentist.  There are the neurologist appointments.  There is the optometrist and the opthamologist.  And those are just MY doctor appointments.  Then of course, there is the hairdresser - the colorist and the stylist.  I AM a full time job.   So why can't I take myself off as a deduction?  I feel that it is safe to say, that the way it is going, I am a legitimate liability.  OOPS!!!!! So, that is why medicare is a BIG problem.  WE USED TO BE FROM THE SIXTIES BUT NOW WE ARE IN OUR SIXTIES!!!!
Just the other day (and if you google it up, you can still find this article) I read:  Coud Being Healthy Actually Make Your Retirement Worse? on CBS - Money Watch and I quote:  "If you are healthy, you can expect to live longer.  And this means you'll have more years during which you'll have to pay for medical expenses, and eventually you'll die of something, incurring medical expenses in the process..." Does anyone else hear JFK's strong Boston-accented voice calling to our best selves resonanting in your soul:  "Ask not what your country can do for you.  Ask what you can do for your country?"  Say what?!!!! EXACTLY WHAT does this country want us to do NOW?

1 comment:

  1. If JFK was alive today he'd say "take a Xanax". It'll help.

    Izzy

    ReplyDelete